Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Slow-Roasted Goat Leg


















Random fact, we had the Crusaders stay here at the Forest Camp a few weeks ago. And while there was plenty of eye-candy during their visit, there was also some other big burly beasts lurking around that weren't as attractive. See, the Crusaders had gone on a hunting trip and had proudly brought back their kill. I saw some trophy heads, wild pigs I think, attached to the front of cars and other assorted beasts were strewn around. I heard they cooked some of it later at one of the local restaurants. But sources tell me that one poor animal got neglected, the humble goat.

I think hunting is all well and good if you intend to eat your kill, but why shoot a goat if you're not going to chow down on it. I'm looking at you Dan Carter. Seems rather wasteful to me.

Goat is a delicious and totally underrated meat, it should not be wasted! I guess it's most commonly used in curries, but it makes a mean roast too. If you cook it right, it wont be dry or unpalatable, in fact it's the complete opposite. So here's my recipe for a jerk-style slow roast, dedicated to the boys in red and black.

Ingredients:


1 leg of goat with bone in
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons of oil
1 large onion
6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon chilli powder
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tablespoon dried)
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt

Method:

Puree the onions, garlic, soy sauce and spices so that they form a paste.
Slash the leg of goat a wee bit and rub the paste over the meat.

Wrap it in foil and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 160 Celsius/325 Fahrenheit.
Fry the leg in a large fry pan (use cast iron if you have it) to sear the meat on all sides.
Place the leg in a roasting dish and cover loosely with foil.

Cook for 3 hours, but remove the foil for the last 20 minutes of cooking.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm Linduh, goat is delicious! I used to get the odd roast free from a friend who had a farm - it is very much like lamb but not as rich, or game-y or something. And shame on DC! What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I agree it's similar to lamb, but not as gamey or whatever. And I'd happily choose a goat roast over a lamb roast any day. (And lamb is one of my favourite meats).

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of leaving the paste to marinade on the meat overnight. I always just roast immediately after rubbing the paste in but I imagine your way is much better. Your photo makes me excited about cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helps well with tenderising the meat. And yeah I know, it's crazy though here because the heat is not letting up, we are still hitting 30 Celsius most days. But I'll happily cook (eat!) a roast in any season.

      Delete
  3. Are two bone in goat leg roasts (3.15 and 3.19) lbs enough for 9 adults for Easter dinner with salad and side dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi janet, I'm no expert but to me that sounds ideal. Enjoy your Easter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size goat leg is this recipe for? I have one that's 9 lbs, so I'm not sure of cooking times and what the final temp of the meat should be

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message!